LocalDawgs is a member-based, community platform that connects local pet owners with each other to exchange pet sitting instead of money. The pet owners are the pet sitters.
With share-based pet care – one member pet sits for you, and you reciprocate to that member or another member – at no additional cost. Pet owners are already well versed in caring for pets and therefore understand their needs and demands. The added bonus is that connecting local pet owners with each other builds communities and friendships – for humans and their pets.
It’s easy to join – just sign up to become a member.
There is a free 30-day trial period and then just a small $3.99 monthly fee. The annual cost is cheaper than one night of pet sitting.
- Create a profile for you and your pet.
- Select the dates you are going away or available to pet sit.
- See who is available in your neighborhood and browse their profiles.
- Read reviews (submitted by fellow pet owners and pet sitters) and connect with another member to meet up!
Absolutely! We take safety very seriously. Every person who joins LocalDawgs verifies their IDs by confirming personal details like their address and email address. They also have an option to connect to their social networks. Additionally, members are encouraged to submit reviews of both pet owners and pet sitters – that is the best way we can assess other members’ qualifications! NOTE: Failure to comply with our Terms & Conditions will result in termination.
Don’t worry! LocalDawgs is a community of pet owners intending to connect with other pet owners. Each member shares their availability – which appears on their profile – and will show up in your searches if there is a match.
As a member of LocalDawgs, you will have access to other members’ profiles and peer reviews. Browse photos of them and their pets and check out their qualifications, based on the answers they’ve provided to LocalDawgs’ questionnaire, which every member completes at signup. Read and write reviews and find your pet’s next best friend!
Our lawyers told us to let you know that LocalDawgs is not responsible in the event of any issues or emergencies (see our Terms & Conditions). Pet owners should leave pet sitters with all of the information that they might need to escalate issues – emergency contact information, vet information, pet insurance information, etc., as well as provide them all of the relevant instructions they need when taking care of the pet.
Once you connect with another member, use these tips to make sure you have a successful and positive experience.
- Schedule an initial ‘meet &; greet’ for you and your pets to meet up.
- Always schedule the first ‘meet &; greet’ at a public place – grab a coffee at a coffee shop or hit up the local dog park. Never go anywhere you don’t feel comfortable.
- During the ‘meet & greet’ ask some important questions like:
- What does your regular day look like?
- How many times do you walk your dog? Feed your cat?
- How many people live with you?
- Between the two of you, you will decide what is the best way to pet sit. The other member can stay at your place, have your pet stay at theirs or they could just stop by 3-4x a day. It’s easy to pop in when the member is your neighbor.
More members means more availability and the better your chances are to have many different member options. Make sure you spread the word to make that happen!